August 13, 2011, Washington, DC: What is it about the rise of DC food trucks? Here are ten reasons that the sight of them on the streets makes me happy.
- Their presence suggests a less stodgy DC, one increasingly open to creativity and innovation.
- They’ve brought more delicious food to our city. Sometimes it’s food that reminds us of our other hometowns, or our childhoods, or our travels.
- They’ve made good use of technology to promote their businesses on the move.
- A very tasty kabob.
- They are run by entrepreneurs who’ve decided to do something different.
- There’s an element of surprise in deciding what to eat for lunch based on what’s parked nearby.
- Lobster rolls on wheels.
- They unite as a spirited community for events like yesterday’s Truckeroo by the ballpark.
- They are colorful and full of personality.
- They’re nomadic just like we are.